Sunday, December 27, 2009

Indecision 2009

ofI'm not sure if you know this but, I'm one of the most indecisive people on the planet! I have an extremely hard time making a decision, but especially without the advice of one or two or twenty other people! It gets especially bad when the decision revolves around a fairly large purchase. SO, I'm hoping that some of my new blogging friends can help me out with my newest shopping dilemma: To Blackberry or not to Blackberry?

I currently have a Voyager through Verizon, and for the most part, I love it. The keyboard is nice and big, there's an option of touch screen (but it's not the ONLY option), the resolution is fairly good, it's pretty stylish in a dark grayish silver color, it fits inside my Vera Bradley All In One wristlet/wallet, I'm eligible for a free upgrade but I can't find any other Verizon phones that I'm all that interested in... In short, it does everything I really need a cell phone to do. I, however, often have a hard time separating my wants and my needs.

I have generally been a staunch non-supporter of all things Blackberry. Who, other than big shot business people, really and truly need to have their email, internet, date book and instant messaging at their finger tips 24/7? I can add the internet to my Voyager if I really, really need it, anyways. But then.... I dropped my beloved Voyager in a puddle yesterday and shorted the microphone. Luckily, the water damage sensors weren't set off and Verizon is currently mailing me a brand new Voyager to my house, free of charge. But, as I wandered around the Verizon store for 45 minutes yesterday waiting for technical service, I was very distracted by all of the shiny, pretty new toys on the Blackberry wall... Uh oh...

I have become particularly obsessive over these three models:

Blackberry Curve 8530 in Smoky Violet (is this color too childish?)

Blackberry Curve 8530 in plain ol' Black (a little more professional/grown up?)
Blackberry Tour 9630

My pros for these phones are that they are super cute, having the internet might prove to be convenient, they still have the QWERTY keyboard I've gotten used to, maybe as I'm getting older (and seriously more forgetful) it would be helpful to have everything in one place, I've always wanted to be able to update my Twitter/Facebook statuses live, from wherever I am in the world (geek, I know) and literally everyone I know who has a Blackberry LOVES it. They all say that there really is a reason everyone calls them "Crackberries".

However, I'm also not sure if it's worth the extra $30 a month just to be able to get on Facebook or Blogger in traffic, or from the mall, or wherever. The phone I have right now works, as far as I can tell, and I love its touch screen capabilities, which the above models don't have. I'm not sure if the Blackberry will fit in my wristlet, which is sort of a necessity, I sorta don't want to be one of those people who are on their phones all the time (OK, even more all the time than I am now), and finally, I'm not sure I have the patience or aptitude to master the Blackberry operating system, since its so utterly and completely different from any other standard phone.

So what's your advice... What do you all think? I know some of you already have Blackberries - how do you feel about them? Which model do you have? Are there any helpful features that I may not know about? Should I get a new, shiny, exciting, Blackberry and look, like totally, tech savvy and trendy OR stick it out with my old standby? Thanks ladies!!!

5 comments:

Mrs P said...

Ok, I've got a blackberry and it's a love/hate relationship. I've got the storm and I would NEVER suggest getting one. It freezes and it's a royal pain and I am counting down the days until I don't have to have a storm anymore. However, the actually blackberryness of the phone, ie having the apps and downloading and internet is fantastic. I don't think I can have another phone without internet now that I know the joys and conveniences of it. I've never used the Curve or the Tour but I've heard great things about both. I suggest sizing them up in the Verizon store to see how they fit in your wristlet too, as my bb is a little thicker and you now I like to have it in my pocket and can't do it with some of my jeans. I've also heard the Droid is AMAZING, so if you're considering the whole internet capabilities thing I would def check out that, too (I know I'm not helping by adding MORE options...) Also, BBM is pretty great - it's bb's own instant messaging and you can use icons, such as a thumbs up or thumbs down. Having a thumbs up/down is pretty awesome, no lie. Haha. Sorry so long, once again -- good luck in your phone hunt!

Megan said...

I had the voyager for about 1.5 years. It happened to take a swim in the toilet during a very FUN night. I now have the BB pearl. I love it. The only thing I hate about it is my memory gets full and deletes old texts and I get stupid emails all the time. But really thats not the BB's fault its my emails fault. I say go BB. I don't recommend the storm though. My pearl is small and although the keyboard is frustrating at first its awesome and you get used to it. My BF even got used to texting on it within a couple days. My uncle has the Droid and LOVES it. I would go with the Droid but then again I'm a electronics whore.

Marian said...

I have the Pearl as well and am obsessed. I sometimes think it is bad to be connected to the world at all times, we need time to breathe, ya know, but for some reason I just can't give it up. I totally recommend Blackberry. Yeah, ya never need all that stuff that comes with it, and I have also had my fair share of problems with memory getting full, but I love it.

Sierra said...

Hey sweetie, thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog! I can't wait to follow your blog as well. I don't have a Blackberry right now but I actually have been thinking about switching to Verizon, so I would probably go with a Blackberry or something similar to what you have now. I think they are great - multi functional and you can limit the time you are on there. I too don't want to get addicted to being on there constantly, lol. Hope you had a lovely Christmas!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I've been debating getting a new phone too. There's nothing wrong with my current one but that free upgrade is sooo tempting! Hope you find what you're looking for.