Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Teacher Tuesday




As a teacher, I am always looking for new classroom management, decorating, and any other helpful tips and tricks from my fellow educators. So, when MJ over at Teaching in Heels started this link up, I was super excited to join! This is a place where teachers like us can share ANYTHING WE WANT about our jobs! It's also a great way to get advice and tips from people who have been there! Since I know teachers often are, ahem, a bit opinionated, this is a perfect Tuesday project for me. First, however, a teacher question:

Last week, I started decorating my classroom but since it's not done yet, I haven't taken pictures. Maybe that will be next weeks' post... It will still be a beach theme and most of the boards and wall are staying the same as last year. However, my county just implemented the Treasures Reading Program this year and we are required to have a FOCUS WALL somewhere in our classroom. Does anyone know anything about this or have any ideas for how to make it more fun and interactive?

And now, since I don't have many fun photos, I'll share a couple of classroom management tips that have worked out for me in the past. They are pretty simple but effective:
1. The chicken/frog- I have a small chicken that chirps when you press its' belly. When the kids hear the chicken, they have to put their fingers on their noses and their eyes must find me wherever I am in the room. This is a great way to see who's paying attention and who's goofing off when the chirp goes out! I just bought a frog that does the same thing and I am excited to use it!

2. Quiet Game- Yes, this is the same quiet game your parents tried to get you to play on long car rides when you were a kid. My class actually ASKED for the quiet game last year. I would just randomly yell out "quiet game" and any students who could stay absolutely silent until I decided we were done playing earned an Eagle Feather to spend at our school store! You do have to be careful to lay down ground rules, such as "Tattling on a non-quiet child gets you removed from the game immediately!"

3. Quiet Soldier Game- When we are waiting in the hallway, I ask one student at a time to tap the shoulder of the quietest, tallest soldier standing in our line. That person then gets to pick the next and so on. Everyone loves waiting to be chosen and tries very hard to keep quiet!

4. Hand signals- We all know the typical bathroom and quiet signs. However, I have students use signs to show me that they have questions, or that they knew the answer to a question, even though I didn't call on them. You can go to any American Sign Language website to look up signs OR you can make them up yourself!

Well, I think that's all the advice I have for today. Make sure you head over and link up for even more tips and tricks!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea for the quiet soldier game!! I'm definitely saving that one for my class :)

Thanks for linking up!!

Anonymous said...

I am a fan of using hand signals too, it makes life with 25 little ones so much easier, doesn't it? :-)