As I was saying in my previous post, I traveled down to Leonardtown, MD yesterday morning to watch one of my sorority sisters, Shannon, marry her high school sweetheart, Rob. As Shannon puts it, they've "been engaged for about 5,000 years" (really closer to 3) so it was exciting to get to see them FINALLY add another ring to that finger!
The ceremony was a little confusing, since I'm not Catholic or very religious at all, but it was definitely romantic, meaningful, and perfect for Rob and Shannon. The reception was very pink. Let me explain that Shannon is not like one of those crazy brides, obsessed with pink and everything girlie. Pink is our sorority's national color, and Phi Mu has meant a lot to all of
Anyway, there was a delicious buffet, plenty of Bud Light, and a pink themed candy bar! There were about 20 Phi Mu sisters in attendance, which made for a really great day. Toward the middle of the reception, Emmie announced that it was time to sing "The Phi Mu Song". Basically, this meant that we stood in a circle around Shannon, singing a modifed version of "My Best Friend"(or whatever song the bride requests) badly, while trying not to laugh at ourselves for inadvertently singing into a carnation microphone. After the song, we present the bride with the "microphones". To some, it may be a silly tradition, but it's a good way to bring all of us together to show our congratuations and love in a big way.
Spending the day with this many Phi Mu sisters together in one place, surrounded by a beautiful wedding made me start to think about the past as well as the future. In college, I saw a
large majority of my sisters at least once a day. I had classes, ate lunch in the commons, studied and watched reality TV, and even lived with some of th
em. It was easy to take my relationships and time with them for granted. It was so strange for many of them not to even know Antonio, or that I've been teaching for almost a full year on my own now. Even though it made melong for my college days, where all I had to do was walk down the hall, up the hill, or to the commons, to find someone I loved, it made me so happy to know that even though it may not be as often as I would prefer, my sisters are still there to share a good drink and a good laugh with.
All in all, I think it was a perfect day and night for everyone, but especially Shannon and Rob. I know that Shannon has been dreaming of this day almost since I met her, if not before. And when you look at Rob, you can tell that he loves Shannon with all his heart, and would do anything to make her happy. Well he definitely succeeded; she seemed happier than I've ever seen her in almost 4 years of friendship and sisterhood. Marriage is mostly likely not in the cards for me for quite some time (though I think it would be super fun to plan a big fancy party with all of my friends), I could not be happier for these two newlyweds.
No comments:
Post a Comment