Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Island

As I was looking back on my way-too-short summer vacation, I realized that I had neglected to post about Antonio and my multiple visits to Kent Island! I feel like we spent such a huge portion of our summer vacation on "The Island" and I've given it no recognition!

It began in June, when Antonio invited me to a family graduation party on Kent Island on a Saturday afternoon. Kent Island is a small piece of land in the Chesapeake Bay, but it feels like it could be a totally different world. I had been there a few times on the way to Ocean City, and for my brother's wedding back in October, but it wasn't until Antonio showed me his Kent Island, that I fell in love.

It only took about 35 minutes to get from home to The Island and I was instantly amazed. His family's house is located at the farthest point of the island and is absolutely gorgeous. They have a small, private beach area, pool, a boat dock and jet skis. The family that lives there, B and K, as well as their 3 daughters, are some of the most genuinely caring and kind people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Anyway, we had a great time during that first visit, tubing on the bay, searching for sea glass, and having just a generally relaxing time. In fact, I think the reason for my strong affinity for Kent Island, may be simply because of its naturally relaxing aura.

Since we weren't able to stay long during that first visit, Antonio and I planned to stay for the entire weekend of July 4th. B and K have a HUGE 4th of July party every year, and it was so much fun to help out with it this year! There was, as always, a ton of food and super friendly, fun people. The boys set off some gorgeous, but loud, fireworks on the jetty which made it a complete 4th of July. We were also able to see fireworks all the way up and down the western shore of the bay; there were probably about 20 different shows down the shore. B and K also went overboard on the 4th of July festivities by purchasing, literally, about 300 sparklers and a ton of glow in the dark jewelry. It was the first time in awhile that I've really been able to just sit back and enjoy America's birthday, and let me tell you, it's quickly becoming my second favorite holiday (after my birthday of course).

On July 5th, it was just Antonio, B, K and I. We decided to go out on the boat for the day, even though it was a sort of yucky, rainy day. B and K had heard about a dock bar on the other side of the point from their house, so we donned our rain gear and decided to check it out. I loved this place! When we got there, it was obviously in the middle of nowhere, except of course, if you arrive by boat. It was pretty small, but right out on the water, and seemed like it would be a really great time in better weather conditions. I really love the idea of traveling by boat or water in general. I just love being on the water!

After having a quick drink at the dock bar, it was time for Antonio to learn how to drive the boat. He had gotten his liscense online, but hadn't had any real life experience yet. So, K and I chatted in the back of the boat while Antonio and B floated us around the bay. After awhile though, K and I were starting to get hungry, so we set out for St. Michael's, another "dock city", where the most accessible way to get there is by boat. I had never been to St. Michael's and was starving, so I was stoked to pull into dock. The buildings all around the harbor were still decorated for July 4th and we even got to see the hotel where a lot of Wedding Crasher's was shot! That, however, is where out relaxing day ended. Long story short - the boat broke and we had to be picked up by car. Nonetheless, it was a relaxing holiday weekend on the island.

The 3rd, and final, time we traveled over to Kent Island was recently, in early August. There wasn't really any purpose to this trip, except to hang out, relax and have fun. Antonio's brother, M, and his girlfriend, A, were able to come over for the weekend, and it was really great getting to know both of them a little better. The four of us were able to stay together in the guest apartment (yes - APARTMENT) over the garage for the weekend. We spent a lot of time soaking up the sun, riding the jet skis, and playing in the pool. On Saturday night, after a delicious pot luck dinner, Antonio, M, A, and I made dessert, to show our appreciation for B and K's hospitality. Antonio's mom had told me about "Banana Smores" and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to try them out! Basically, you cut open a banana long ways, fill it with the smores materials, wrap it in foil and throw it on the grill for 15 minutes. In the end, the Banana Smores turned out pretty good; all of the flavor combinations were definitely spot on. However, the texture of the banana got a little mushy for my taste. I'll stick to regular smores from now on.

On Sunday, everyone, including B and K and their three daughters (who, by the way, are SUPER sweet and fun!) headed out on the bay for some wakeboarding, skiing, and tubing. There were a ton of sea nettles in the water around us, so I did not take this opportunity to try out wakeboarding again. I did, however, take a ride on the tube - which was very fun! Since all of us were building up a pretty big appetite from the water sports, B took us to a cute little dock restaurant called The Jetty. None of us had expected to be getting out of the boat before going home, so we were a bit of a rag tag group, sitting down to eat. Most of the girls were shoe-less and mostly in bathing suits and t shirts. What I love about these types of places, though, is that this was totally ok! We had a great dinner on the water, as the sun set over the Kent Narrows bridge and the Chesapeake Bay. It was incredibly - yes, relaxing!

Hopefully, we do not neglect Kent Island during the cold, winter months. B said that the guest apartment, with its cozy couches and small pellet fireplace, is a great place to curl up with a book on cold afternoons and evenings. Even though I genuinely dispise cold weather, Kent Island is one of those very rare places that I feel like I could always enjoy, even in the winter time. Perhaps it's part of its' magic!

1 comment:

Lauren @ Dreams Take Flight said...

You have that book?! Oh dumb, next semester I'll def check with you before I buy any dumb books.

I enjoy this post...you need to find out where you order humongous sparklers from because I love them.