Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Celebrate!

Let me preface this post with this: I began writing this on my actual birthday but, obviously, was too excited about it being my birthday to finish! Being the lazy bum that I am, I decided not to edit this post for tense sake. Laziness and the fact that it would take away from the excitement that was obviously showing through on my birthday! I also realized I wouldn't be able to write about my actual birthday celebrations that night since they hadn't happened yet, so I decided saving was the best idea... Anyway, enjoy! :o)

Guess what today is?!?! MY BIRTHDAY! That's right - It is my most favorite holiday all year TODAY! Now, I know that birthdays aren't really holidays, but isn't it great to have a day that's just yours? Even if you just sit around, relax and generally act like a lazy bum (as I have been doing since leaving work at 11 this morning). I am like a little kid in my feelings about birthdays still, whether it be my own or someone elses'. I get really excited and begin a countdown as soon as August rolls into September. I even get excited when it's 9:16 on a digital clock. (Ok, ok... Yes, I'm a dork.)

Even though today is my real life birthday, my birthday celebrations really started on Saturday. I woke up, put on my best Navy Football shirt and headed out to Annapolis to tailgate for the 2009 season opener. Antonio and I met up with one of my sorority sisters and her boyfriend for the game. We had a great time relaxing, munching on delicious sandwiches and drinking ice cold beer in (irony alert!) an elementary school field. The game was also pretty action packed, even though we had to leave a bit early to get ready for the festivities that night!

Antonio and Shannon had not-so-secretly planned my official birthday celebration. I say not-so-secret because though they both tried to keep the events of the night a secret, my obessive need to plan and be in control totally effed up their plans. We started out eating some de-lic-ious sushi in Annapolis. I tried out my new favorite, the Dynamite California. It had a HUGE california roll on the inside and a verrrry green seasweed salad on top, covered in "Wasabi Sauce". It was sweet, tangy, and spicy all at the same time. Definitely a must-have!

Anyway, about 10 of my sorority sisters, as well as significant others came out for dinner. We had our own little area in the back and we even had to take our shoes off to get inside! At the end of the meal, the waiter brought me a tasty little ice cream treat and everyone sang, loudly, to me. (I mean, we are Phi Mu afterall - loudness should be expected.) The cozy setting and my most favorite food made for a very comforting beginning to the night.

After dinner, we headed over to Pusser's for drinks. Their back deck is located right on the edge of Ego Alley, the main dock area in downtown Annapolis. If you are so lucky to own your own boat, you can even park right on the dock at Pusser's and hop out for a drink or a bite to eat! Upon arriving, Shannon informed me that my first "surprise person" of the evening was waiting for me on the back deck. When I walked outside, I saw one of my oldest friends - Sammie Jill! Sam and I have known each other since 8th grade and I consider her one of my very best friends. She brought along her little brother, Cody, who feels like a little brother to me too! We aren't always able to get together very often, since she is beginning her teaching career this year so I was just so, so happy to see them!!

We spent quite awhile at Pusser's hanging out out back at Pusser's, even through the rain and chilly conditions. I think that when you are in a great mood, with greater company, weather just doesn't seem to have an effect on your body. A few more sisters showed up and I was having a perfect birthday. Then, Shannon told me my NEXT surprise guest was about to join us! I wasn't sure if I could keep up with all of these surprises! A few minutes later, Megan and Caitlin - more home/high school friends! - walked around the corner! After a few drinks at Pusser's, we decided that it was time to dance! There are only a few bars that actually play "dance music" in Annapolis, so we made the trek over to Federal House, across the street. There was quite a bit of dramatics in trying to actually leave, but that is another story for another post.

At Federal House, we ran into quite a few familiar faces. Mostly people from high school who I haven't seen in ages, but we also met one very famous person - CAPTAIN MORGAN! Caitlin was instantly in love with the Captain and the rest of us definitely thought it was pretty cool. At Fed House, I finally tried Shannon and Megan's signature drink, The Dirty Shirley. It's basically a Shirley Temple with vodka (my alcohol of choice) in it. Well, once I had it, I definitely understood what all the hype was about - it was great! We danced and drank until we realized we were all just getting too old for this lifestyle. (HAHA)

The next day, Antonio and I made a day trip to Ocean City. The beach is my most favorite place ever and I really wanted to be there for my birthday. We got down early and did all of our favorite things: Fractured Prune donuts, boardwalk, go karts, shop, eat and beach! It started out really cloudy but after a few hours of dreariness, the skys opened up and it turned into a beautiful, hot, sunny day! It was a perfect day trip with the love of my life.

On my actual birthday, my friends and family came over for a really fun, chill cookout at my house. There was a TON of all my favorite cookout foods, which as I've said before, are my favorite. I tried my hand at sangria for the first time, using Em's recipe and it turned out DELICIOUS. My Aunt Toni also made me TWO batches of my most favorite ever Confetti Cake Birthday Cookies from childhood and banana pudding, a close second favorite.

It was really great for all of my favorite people to be in one place at one time, with nothing to do but relax and enjoy each other's company. I think the thing that I miss the most about college is not having all the much responsibility. I mean sure, you hav eto do your schoolwork and go to class, but at night you have all the time inthe world to just hang around and be lazy with the people you love the most. And, that, my friends, is EXACTLY what we did on my birthday!

All in all, I think it was a great birthday celebration. Nothing too wild or crazy, but I liked it that way. Maybe that's because I'm getting old... ;o)

No comments: