I'm a little bit worried about my dad. In 1997, after 23 years in the DC Fire Department, he retired as a Captain and became a stay at home dad. He did all of the "house husband" duties of cleaning, cooking, and taking care of me. It was great having my dad home all the time, to watch TV with or go golfing. After awhile, though, I stopped needing so much caretaking and he became bored, since he is an extremely active guy. So, he got himself a part time job. Over the years, he's seen a few jobs come and go, mostly because he gets bored or angry at management and quits. I mean, it's not like we need the money - his retirement pays the bills fine.
Over the summer, he was laid off from his most recent job at a construction company, due to the economic crisis. At first, he was happy about this - he took care of the pool, floated around in the sun, and was a normal retiree for awhile. Now, though, the cold months are setting in and he's starting to get a little bit of cabin fever. He's definitely not the kind of person to curl up with a book or a good movie and lounge about all day; a trait I did not seem to benefit from. I think it might even be making him a little bit sad.
Here is where I need your creative blogger brains: Does anyone have any ideas for things an active, antsy guy in his mid 50's could do all day? Either to get himself out of the house or keep occupied? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!
No comments:
Post a Comment