Monday, January 11, 2010

Don't Shop At Best Buy. Seriously.

Ok so maybe the title is taking a wee bit too far, but once you hear my story ::ahem:: rant ::ahem:: you might just agree with me. It all started one October morning...

I'm getting ready for work and goto put my laptop to sleep, to conserve energy, keep it from overheating, etc. etc. and what does it do? IT RESTARTS! All by itself!! I think, "Hmm that's wierd", but run out the door to work and decide to deal with it later. To top it all off, when I get home from work, there are TWO errors messages on my screen, courtesy of Windows. (Yes, I know I should have just gotten the Mac in 2007 when I bought the new laptop. I don't need the lecture right now.) Well, my mom, who is far better with technology than me, tries to reinstall some spyware, search for viruses, and all sorts of other things that, after literally 4 hours of fiddeling, do nothing. Now, I'm getting heated.

Long story short, I allow a few of my more computer savvy friends to fiddle around on my beloved laptop, delete drivers (whatever those are...), download upgrade packs and who knows what else. None of this works. And, the whole computer is starting to run slower and slower! Getting worried, I have Antonio put all of my cherished pictures, music and documents onto an external hard drive, anticipating that this might be the big blowup and I better save my memories before it's too late.

Luckily, I think, I purchased a fairly expensive warranty plan for this such occasion AND I would be out of town for almost a week snowboarding over New Year's. What a perfect time to drop off my precious Toshiba to the GeekSquad at Best Buy and let them deal with the headache for awhile, right? Not so much. The guy behind the counter (who MIGHT be out of high school) tells me my computer will get in line behind, basically the rest of the tri-county area's and should be ready for me in 10-14 days. Begrudgingly, I leave my laptop behind, and break out the old, slow, virus laden, relic from my college days.

Fast forward to Day 11 of the 10-14 day absence of my laptop: I get a call from Best Buy (rudely) telling me they need my power cord. Now, every other time I've dropped a laptop off at Best Buy, they've had spares lying around and it wasn't a big deal. Apparently they don't do that anymore. I tell them it's not a huge deal if I have to wait for the spare to be out of use, and that I have another computer to use in the meantime. Once again, the girl (rudely) tells me they need my power cord. Why they didn't get started on the computer until Day 11 of 14 is beyond me, but I happily take the cord up to the store, thinking that it will soon be back in my loving arms.

Fast forward again to today: DAY 13. I receive yet ANOTHER, this time extremely rude, call from Best Buy, asking me to schlep back to the store to provide them with my computer's recovery disks. Fortunately, my level headed mother answered the phone, and asked why in the world they didn't tell me they needed these disks on SATURDAY, when I took the power cord. They had no answer for her.

What other choice did I have? I took the disks to Best Buy earlier this evening. Trying to be polite, and putting on my calm, but firm teacher voice, I explained that I was very disappointed at the amount of time and stress this repair has taken, and that since I have now gone out of my way to bring them the things they need to fix my computer (aren't they supposed to be the experts? Why am I doing all the work?) that I would like the same courtesy extended to me.

So, my blogger friends, what do I do? Has anyone out there ever had anything like this happen to them before? Was it worth it to complain to management? How do I get my poor Toshiba back and will she be in once piece? Stay tuned for the next thrilling installment of... I Hate Best Buy.

3 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That seems strange that they wouldn't have the cord or disks to fix your computer. Isn't that what the "geek squad" is for?? I think it seems very very odd. Hope you get it back soon!

Annie said...

OH NO! :(
i hope you get it back soon!
sorry to hear you hate BB. i happen to spend way too much money there myself, if i ever had an issue like this with them i wouldn't return.
demand to speak to managment or a regional manager, they need to make things right for you.

Sierra said...

My BF had a similar situation happen to her, from what I have heard it sounds like they just want to rip off the people so they will spend more $$. My best advice would to find a friend or relative that knows computers well and have them figure it out. Good luck darlin!