Sunday, February 28, 2010

It's That Time Again


Yep, it's time for a good 'ol stroll down Phi Mu memory lane again! Earlier today, my college chapter gave officially welcomed our six new Phis with shiny, gold Phi pins! The pinning ceremony is one that is held every semester, about a week after Bid Day. This is when the new members recieve their pledge pin. Pinning is what we call an "Open Ritual", so parents, friends, families or significant others are welcome to come. Fraternity boys even come to welcome the new girls into the Greek community, and usually bring flowers or a song! Of course Antonio came to show his love for Phi Mu (and maybe just his girlfriend too...)
There were a number of other alumni there and it was great to catch up with all of them! I also really enjoyed getting to know the new members a little better. I've been to so many between now and then, that I felt like I could have recited the ritual along with our chapter President! Of course, it brought back lots of memories of my own pinning, 5 years ago...
I was honestly pretty terrified for my own pinning. The whole chapter, along with alumni and families were present and it was quite overwhelming. I also had to recite a pretty long paragraph in front of everyone, which I'm pretty sure I recall fumbling a little bit. It was really nice to be able to share the moment with my parents. The pinning ceremony is an opportunity for families to see a more serious, devoted side of Phi Mu, that is much different from the stereotypical partying Greek Life scene. It was also really nice that I got to share the day with one of my soon-to-be-favorite-people Lauren. It felt amazing to begin the process of becoming a part of something so special. Though the day of my Pinning ceremony was definitely a special one, I had no idea it would be only the beginning of one of the best decisions of my life!

2 comments:

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

Gotta love the entire sorority adventures!!

Anonymous said...

Cute pics! I was a Phi Mu and remember pinning very well! Love your blog by the way!