Where do I go to grad school?
I have a couple of options; online or in real life. Because I'm a teacher, it is a requirement that I earn my masters degree in order to keep my certification. I've chosen to get mine in reading instruction (Whew; one decision down.) The county I work for has a fairly liberal reimbursement program, as well as a cohort program with a local college. I won't bore you with the details but, in short, I can get my masters online in exactly 4 years for just under $6,500 including books and fees OR I can get it by going to school the old fashioned way for just under $4,000, not including books, fees, or gas.
I know what you're thinking: "Duh, Ambs, do the cheaper one! Hello?? More money for pretty things and wonderful vacations!" You're right. That thought has occurred to me more than once. However, I know that going to school the old fashioned way will take me at least a whole year more than online, if not longer. It will also obviously not be as convenient... Which will satisfy my laziness.
So, I thought, since so many of you lovely ladies have already made these decisions and created amazing lives for yourselves, I want your advice. What do you think? Have any of you ever taken classes online? Is it worth the extra money? Does it look like you took the easy way out? Have I gotten myself in over my head here???
2 comments:
During my last year of school I was working more so I took a class online and I found it to be one of THE toughest classes I had taken throughout my 4 years in college. It takes a lot of self discipline because you don't have anyone there shouting for you to get it done. It was pretty great though being able to do the class work from home.
I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you!
I'm going to grad school right now and I have learned that there are so many options...so really do your research.
I actually attend classes, but take an online course here or there. Sometimes I have found that online classes are more difficult because you need self discipline (as crazy shenanigans wrote). Personally, I think going to class is more valuable because more can be learned from interaction with humans.
My program does not require for me to write a thesis, which is great, but in hindsight, I think I should have chosen a more difficult program. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of work.
Keep in mind that colleges offer accelerated programs at satellite locations, and you'll be able to get your degree in 1.5 -2 years! I wish I had done this.
Hope this doesn't confuse you! I'm indecisive as well, so I can totally sympathize with you!
Post a Comment