Thursday, June 24, 2010

An Important Lesson

Well, I learned something very interesting yesterday afternoon...

This week has been EXTREMELY warm in Maryland and yesterday was definitely the hottest. 98 degree highs with a heat index well over 100! As some of you know, I'm taking advantage of my summer off by earning a little extra money teaching private swim lessons (which a whole other post in itself).

I went up to my community pool around 3 yesterday to teach lessons for about an hour. I closed my windows, locked up my car and taught in the sweltering heat. Around 4, I walked back out to my car ready to go home and take a nap, since I was exhausted from spending the day in the hot sun and found this:
Yes friends, that is my back window completely SHATTERED. Luckily, it didn't fall in, just stayed broken in a million little pieces in its' little frame. Well, after a half an hour of calling the police, informing the pool that somehow my window was broken in their parking lot and frantically calling my Dad who wasn't answering the phone!, Dad showed and said yes, indeed this window broke because....

IT. GOT. TOO. HOT.

That's good to know. My car is pretty slanted in the back and has a dark tint on it. That combined with sitting, baking in the sun all day just got to be too much it seems. My window is being replaced today (even though they're here now and brought the wrong glass! MORE difficulty, of course) and will have to be re-tinted soon. It's all very fixable and insurance pays for a lot of it, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm out $150 plus however much tint costs...

Anyway ladies, here is an important lesson for all of us: apparently your car can get sunburnt, even worse than we can!

6 comments:

Ashley said...

That is CRAZY!! I have never heard of such a thing. I just put insurance on a truck my husband just bought, and they asked if I wanted the windshield replacement coverage with no deductible...I hesitated, but said yes. I am kind of glad I did now!

Ashley said...

PS.
You have the no-reply email Mrs P was talking about in her post today and how she cant reply to yoru comment- I just tried to reply and I noticed.
So, here is how to fix it if you would like:
Go to your Dashboard on Blogger.com.
2. Hit your edit profile, right next to your picture on the top left.
3. Scroll down to the line that says : Show my email address and CHECK THE BOX.
4. Hit save.

Marian said...

Um, who knew?!?!?! That is kind of scary. I'm gonna have to try and park my car in the shade from now on. And it has been ridiculously hot these last few days in MD. Getting in my car at 8:30am for work and its already 90?!?! Not a fan (especially since my AC is acting up right now...sigh)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh no! That sucks about your window! Maybe if you go to the same place you got your first tint, they'll give you a discount?

Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany said...

That is just crazy!! I never knew that could happen. I hope this heat leaves MD soon. It's ridiculous. And maybe you can get a tint discount since it's only 1 window. Try and stay cool this weekend! More heat is heading our way :-(