Every year, I feel compelled to blog about 9/11/01. Last year, I shared a touching story from school about how the events of 9/11 have impacted our country's children. Two years ago, I had recently returned from Ground Zero and was still able to recall the raw, fresh emotions I felt while there. Now, ten years later, I'm not sure what to say. (Excuse me while I ramble...)
I have been glued to my TV all week, watching OnDemand episodes of 9/11 remembrance and memorial shows. I will never forget where I was on September 11th, 2001 but somehow, I had forgotten some of the images and sounds from that day.
Immediately after 9/11, it was decided that footage of the planes crashing or victims running for their lives shouldn't be shown to us again for a long while. Someone out there thought that America was not strong enough to watch this devastating act of terrorism over and over again. But, I have to disagree. In the last ten years, I think that America has proven how incredibly strong and powerful she is. I also think that while it is imperative to continue to remember images such as these:


It is equally vital to view these, as well:


These are images that will not only ignite anger, passion, and patriotism, but also remind us of those who sacrificed that day and who have continued to sacrifice since. They will remind us that even in our darkest hours, America still has hope and will always overcome.
As I taught my class about the heroes of September 11th yesterday, I realized that this is my first group of children who were not even yet conceived, let alone born 10 years ago. To them, September 11th, 2001 will be nothing more than a page in a history book. Much like our grandparents felt about Pearl Harbor, we will feel about 9/11. We must continue to view these images and share our stories, if for nothing more than to educate our children and teach them what it means to be an American.
As I've said before, my dad is the MOST patriotic person I've ever met. The new Toby Keith song, Made in America, describes him to an absolute tee. He can usually be found wearing either a fire department or a 9/11 remembrance t-shirt, even going out to dinner or the mall. Our house proudly displays an American flag year-round (unless of course it's football season, then we let the Ravens speak of our patriotism for us). Yesterday, I wore one of my dad's 9/11 shirts to work and I couldn't have been more proud. Proud of him, proud of America, proud of the heroes and victims of 9/11.
I know I've been going on and on, so I will end with this:
Everyone keeps saying NEVER FORGET. But, I'm not sure how any real Americans every really could. So, instead I say STAY STRONG, AMERICA. STAY PROUD. AND STAY HOPEFUL.
No comments:
Post a Comment