Thursday, November 24, 2011

An Attitude of Gratitude

Every year around this time of year, I begin to get very frustrated. During a time when people should be counting their blessings, they are more busy counting the number of people in line in front of them for that great deal on a huge TV or the number of boxes and bags under the tree. In general people (myself included) are selfish. It's the nature of our gimme gimme, faster, bigger, better society - I get it. But, around the holidays it seems like that mindset goes into overdrive. It's exactly why I always say how much I dislike this time of year.

So, since it is Thanksgiving, I decided to post just some of the things I am thankful for each and everyday.

My FamilyI have an AWESOME family. I know, everyone thinks their family is the best. But I have the most supportive group of people behind me. They believe in me and always encourage me to do my best. But, they're also not afraid to call me out and tell me I'm being ridiculous, which I truly value.
Antonio is definitely part of that family, even if we haven't "officially" joined the same family yet. He is so supportive, patient, and loving to me. He is a constant caregiver and I am so lucky to have him to take care of me everyday. Anytime I am stressed or having one of my mini meltdowns, he can always take it in stride. I feel safe and protected when he's around. When he says he won't let anything happen to me, I truly believe him.

My FriendsI cannot even express how lucky I am for my amazing family of friends. I know I've said it before, but joining Phi Mu brought so many amazing people into my life. Sure, there are a lot of people from college who I probably will never speak to again, but luckily have a strong group of friends who I know I will have for a long time to come. They are all beautiful and special in their own ways. They all have something to teach me and are supportive and caring no matter what. As we all split up across the country and the world, I know that this group of ladies is always just a phone call away.

I have also created a great group of friends through working at my current school. Most of us no longer with in my particular school, but we are all still close. I love that they can all relate to the stresses, frustrations and joys I feel everyday as a teacher. And they are SO FREAKING FUN!

My Job
Not only because I have a job in such a hard economy or because it's brought so many amazing people into my life. I'm so thankful for my job because I LOVE IT. Yes, it's a frustrating, stressful, overworking, underpaid profession. But what I lack in money or sleep or peacefulness, I get back in happiness everytime I see a kid really start to understand something or develop a love for books or math. To think that I helped turn that lightbulb on for them is overwhelming at times. If a time ever comes when I stop loving what I do or that amazement is gone, I will know it's time to walk away for good.

That's just a few of my most cherished blessings. I am so lucky and truly blessed. I hope all of you can take sometime today to recognize your own blessings. Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Phi Mu definitely brought some great, long lasting friends into my life too! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!