Saturday, February 6, 2010

Oh the weather outside is weather...


Well, I'm sure that most of you are sick of hearing about this blizzard that has taken over, and basically shut down, most of the East Coast. I will start off by apologizing: I'm sorry but this post will be yet another run down of the nasty, clumpy, white precipitation that is occuring right outside my very window. But, as one of those stuck inside, lonely, and bored during this great catastrophe, don't be too hard on us: there's not much else to talk about today. It has been snowing for about 24 hours at this point, and from the looks of the scene outside my window, it's not stopping. (That yard stick is at 21 inches, in case you couldn't tell)

We got to leave school early yesterday in preparation for the big storm, and it couldn't have been on a better day. The kids all knowing it was supposed to hit while they were in school PLUS getting out of school two hours early equaled mass chaos in 3rd grade. My students were basically bouncing off the walls by the time I unleashed them out my back door to the snow storm that was already starting. I wish I had pictures of their craziness - it was like they've never seen snow before!

Once I was able to leave, I headed to Dunkin Donuts, grabbed a coffee and settled in at home for a few days of relaxation and catching up on grading, thinking this was going to be a great weekend at home. Well, now that I've been home for approximately 20 hours, I'm keeping an ever growing list of things I SHOULD have done when I got off yesterday, before the snow started sticking to the roads...
- gone to the gym for about 2-3 hours, since I won't be seeing it for quite some time
- fought the crowds at the grocery store: this would have kept me out of my house for quite some time AND I would have given me some delicious treats to snack on
- fought the crowds at the liquor store: stuck inside with my parents for an unidentified period of time, pretty self explanatory
- taken a leisurely stroll around Michael's: hoping that jewelry making/scrapbooking will keep me sane
- wandered around Target: I just love Target, such a good time wasting store!
- gotten a 1 in the afternoon Happy Hour drink with some teachers from school
- driven to Wisp to snowboard like I was SUPPOSED to do this weekend FYI: I tried snowboarding down my front yard, didn't work out so well

So, here I am, bored, lonely and already feeling the effects of cabin fever. My dad made us go outside and shovel and clean off cars around 11 last night, and let me tell you it was a good idea! My car is already completely hidden by the snow, as is my mom's and we cleaned both of them off completely! I can't imagine what they would be like if we hadn't done that!

These are the times when living with my parents, though very cost efficient, is not super appealing. I wish that I was stuck at home with Antonio and some close friends, drinking wine, watching silly movies and playing board games. Is that too much to ask? Perhaps today would be a good day to seriously start the home search back up...

Anyways, since my neighborhood looks like this:

This is what my afternoon looks like:
A large cup of coffee (eventually to be replaced by an ever larger glass of wine), some blogging and internet surfing, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Wish me luck :o)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! Your blog is cute as well! And I love your afternoon plans! Harry Potter is my favorite! : )

Room 209 said...

I'm not a fan of winter. But you have to admit, that it is nice to be so cozy, don't you think? I haven't even ventured out to shovel or clean off my car.

And as far as living with your parents, maybe it's not soo bad? I didn't live with my parents, lived alone instead, and I was lonely. I guess both have pros and cons...

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! you have so much snow!!! looks like fun! we are stuck in the 50*'s here in Oregon.. some pretty white stuff would be FUN!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Hang in there! I hope you can get out of the house soon!

dreaming in pink and green said...

hope you are staying safe and warm in this storm! I dug my car out today and I couldn't believe how much snow was out there! love your Ravens flag!

kelly ann said...

oh gosh, i have no idea what a blizzard would be like! i'm a california girl, so this just boggles my mind... i'm hope you're staying warm and toasty! :)