Today was, sadly, my first day back to work. For the last two years, I've worked for a very ::ahem:: unique principal. Even though it was hard at times, I always knew what she expected and that she trusted me as a teacher. This year, we have an all new principal and a new teammate, along with a lot of position cuts and sad goodbyes. Though I'm tempted to wallow in the anxiety of change and depression of loosing so many great co-workers, I've decided to try to look on the the optimistic side.
In general, New Year's doesn't mean all that much to me, since I'm still smack in the middle of my working year. Really, today signifies the beginning of a "new year" to me. Therefore, I thought I'd share a few of my New (School) Year's Resolutions!
1. ZERO STRESS!
While this is VERY hard for me, I'm going to try my best to remind myself that not everything has to get done right.this.minute. And, that nothing at school or practice or anywhere for that matter is worth the anxiety and panic attacks.
2. Body Makeover
I'm really going to get back on the gym wagon. The huge amount of time that cheerleading takes up really put a rift in my gym schedule last winter and I never seemed to get back on track. Now that I'm a little more accustomed to my coaching responsibilities, I think I can do it!
3. No Guilt
I always do it: get frustrated, yell at a kid, make the kid upset, feel guilty later. I'm not going to do it anymore! If I'm frustrated I will either walk away or ask the student to take a walk until I can work through the problem calmly.
4. No Anger
I will NOT take my anger out on people and situations that do not deserve it. Period.
5. Daily Happiness
I want to find at least one good thing that happens to me. Every. Single. Day.
While this is VERY hard for me, I'm going to try my best to remind myself that not everything has to get done right.this.minute. And, that nothing at school or practice or anywhere for that matter is worth the anxiety and panic attacks.
2. Body Makeover
I'm really going to get back on the gym wagon. The huge amount of time that cheerleading takes up really put a rift in my gym schedule last winter and I never seemed to get back on track. Now that I'm a little more accustomed to my coaching responsibilities, I think I can do it!
3. No Guilt
I always do it: get frustrated, yell at a kid, make the kid upset, feel guilty later. I'm not going to do it anymore! If I'm frustrated I will either walk away or ask the student to take a walk until I can work through the problem calmly.
4. No Anger
I will NOT take my anger out on people and situations that do not deserve it. Period.
5. Daily Happiness
I want to find at least one good thing that happens to me. Every. Single. Day.
I think that's all for now. I'm really hoping that using my insight and reflections from the past few years of teaching, along with the fresh start a new principal can bring, that this will be a very successful school year!

3 comments:
I love the idea of resolutions at the start of the school year!! :) Sounds like the perfect time to make a change.
I agree with the no stress resolution. Much easier said than done though, at least for me, good luck!!
Thanks for linking up!
Great resolutions! Btw, I just found your blog & I'm a fellow Phi Mu!
Those all sounds like great things for the new school year! Hope it goes well!
Post a Comment