Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring Break - Savannah Style

Today is my last day of Spring Break. I know I know - I can't complain since most adults with real grown up jobs don't get spring break OR summer vacation anymore. I'm very lucky that I get to do what I love AND get some much needed time off in the sunshine! But, it's just SO HARD to go back after to the stresses that I know are waiting for me after such a relaxing week off.

I spent the first five days of spring break in Savannah GA with one of my very best friends, Lauren. This was the second time that I've gotten to visit Laur since she and her husband moved to the south in June. Our sorority sister Megan came along this time for her first trip to Savannah!


We spent a lot of time lounging on the beach, since all three of us are total sun lovers. Well, I might be a little more obsessive about my tan lines than Lauren and Megan... after a pretty bad burn on day one, I was the only one dumb enough not to hang out under the umbrella a little more often!


We spent two days on Tybee Island, GA. Tybee is an adorable little beach/vacation town with great little shops and some delicious dining. If you are ever in the area the Tybee Island Social Club is a MUST for dinner or lunch! I also had literally THE. BEST. ICE. CREAM. OF. MY. ENTIRE. LIFE. in Tybee. It was a small little ice cream shop near the beach and had home made everything. I went for banana pudding ice cream in a waffle cone and have been dreaming of it ever since...


In an effort to give or skin a little break from the sun, we spent a day in downtown, historic Savannah learning about the city Lauren now calls home. We took a somewhat successful trolley ride throughout the city, as the driver pointed out especially historical or interesting places. We did a lot of walking and talking and catching up. Savannah is SUCH A BEAUTIFUL CITY and it was so nice to have the entire day to just enjoy and appreciate it!

For lunch, Paula Deen's restaurant The Lady and Sons was a must do for me. Even though Paula's recipes are as far from Weight Watchers friendly as possible, it was worth it.

And she has the absolute best sweet tea I've ever had ever. I may have had upwards of four glasses during lunch....


And since Lauren is now an official Savannah resident, we didn't even have to wait in the long long long line out front! Locals are allowed make reservations, ya'll!

Hilton Head, SC is only about an hour drive from Savannah, so we decided to spend one of our beach days there. It was an incredibly nice public beach and a beautiful beach day. After working on our tan lines a little more, we headed to a hidden restaurant Lauren and her husband had found called Skull Creek Boathouse. Even though we had to wait over an hour for a table, it was totally worth it. We got to take some great photos by the water and enjoy some cold beers as we waited.


We also were able to sit outside and enjoy a beautiful sunset as we ate.


And what may have been the most worth the wait was my meal. I ordered the Lowcountry Boil, which is as commonplace in the south as blue crabs are here in Maryland. Its a pretty simple dish of seafood broth, shrimp, corn on the cob, potatoes and sausage. Simple or not, those are almost all of my favorite foods and I was hooked! I may have even made some here at home last night...


All in all, I think that was a super successful spring break! We crammed a lot of things into a short short time, but also got a lot of relaxing girl time together, which is always important to me. It's so easy to get wrapped up in our own daily dramas and forget to just stop and appreciate the world around us and especially the people in it!

I also was reminded why I have always always always loved the south so much... and became even more determined to return for good at some point in my lifetime!

3 comments:

Sara Elizabeth said...

Savannah is such a fun place! I wish I could visit more than I do.

Lauren @ Dreams Take Flight said...

I love this and I love you! :) Thank you so much for coming to visit me...it means so much to have friends I know are for life no matter how far away we may be from each other. Miss you already...now when are you coming back?! ;)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

It looks like it was a great spring break and time with friends!