Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sneak a Peek

Teachers don't technically have to go back to work until Monday. But, of course my OCD prevents me from actually giving myself a FULL vacation and I've been in to visit my new classroom a few times.

I started by recovering this old stool. It was in my classroom when I moved in 3 years ago but I actually use it a lot! Sadly, I didn't think to do any before shots but I'm SO SO SO stoked about the finished product! 

This is the first time I've moved classrooms since transferring to my school 3 years ago AND the first time I've taught a grade other than 3rd. Next year, I'll be moving down to big, bad, scary (for me, at least) FIRST GRADE! So, needless to say, my anxiety and over preparedness have been out of control...

My math board has gotten to say FAIRLY the same as in my old room. I had to move my calendar to the math area and add a few things to it. Let me tell you, packing up I made sure to label my fabrics with what size boards they fit and kept the borders together with the fabrics. It made recovering my new bulletin boards SO. MUCH. EASIER!

I've never had to have a proper word wall before, so I spent a lot of time on Photoshop perfecting the letters for this one. You can't see here but they have super cute little beachy borders all around! And luckily, for whatever reason, the chalkboards in my school do not really like chalk. So, we all use whiteboard markers on them instead! It easily wipes off with baby wipes whenever you're done, so that will be how I will be adding the words to the word wall! 

This photo also shows my workshop board. I will end up putting their small group rotation schedule on the board, as well as workshop responsibilities. Here's a closer shot: 
First of all, let me make it clear that this sign up chart was not exactly my idea. I found the general format for it on another amazing teachers' blog but sadly cannot remember which one. I have been finding so many amazing, useful and creative ideas out here in blog world that I've lost track! So, if this is your creation, please comment and take credit! 

Anyway, I'm very OCD about order in the classroom. So when small group rotations begin, I like to know exactly where every kid is AND exactly what they're doing there. With this system, I can mark on the laminate cards what students should be doing in each center. Then, they will clip a clothespin with their names to the edge of the card to show where they will be during center rotations. I did it a little differently in 3rd grade, so I'm hoping this will be a little easier for the little ones.

And, since every center is not open every day, I added velcro to the backs of the cards so that they can switch in and out easily - please excuse my need to be painted in a bad way nails. (I am a total velcro FOOL this year!!) 

 Although it may seem like I've been so hard at work that I must almost be ready to roll, the picture below shows that this is far from the truth. I feel so OVERWHELMED already!




Well, I guess it's time to lavish in my last THREE official days of summer vacation! Is it sad that I get in such a depressed little funk around this time of year?