Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Laziness

So here I am with my weekend wrap up - just a tad bit late. But I have a good reason I swear! For the past two days I have been feeling wayyy under the weather. Let me recap for you...

On Saturday, I relished in sleeping in for the first time in what seemed like forever. When I finally did wake up around 10:30, I threw some laundry in and headed out to the gym. I got in a pretty good workout and was feeling very energized and ready for the rest of the day. Antonio and I ran to Hallmark (which is never a quick errand for me) and picked up some zebra print! Thank You cards and a birthday card for a friend. Then, we had a delicious lunch of sushi (my fave) and sat around watching college football for awhile.

When I got home, I was still feeling great and super energized. I took a shower, packed up my school things, laptop, and "sleepover" things for a good old fashioned sleepover with one of my very best friends Lauren. I plugged in my iPod into my car and started out on the 45 minute ride up to her house. About 25 minutes in, I encountered a bit of traffic at the tunnel. Undeterred, I took the first exit I could find and let my GPS, Blanche, lead me through the city and back to the highway. It was actually sort of an adventure, since Blanche got a little bit confused and I had to figure out a large part of the journey. But I digress...

When I got to Lauren's, we started out our evening by baking the cookie/brownie concoction she blogged about last week. Then, we set off to work. We sat around in her room, eating brownie/cookies, watching SNL, and doing work (teacher work for me and grad student teacher work for Laur) until about 3 in the morning! It was definitely past our bedtimes for sure! I can remember so many nights doing the EXACT same thing in college, except back then we stayed up until 5 AM. The whole situation brought back so many memories of college, I almost felt a little pang in my heart. It has always been so comfortable to sit with Lauren, without talking, and just get things done together. Having company like that definitely made the boring work I had to do go by a lot faster.

We woke the next morning and met up with an old friend of mine, Meg, for coffee. She just got married and moved with her husband to a neighborhood very close to where Lauren lives, so I always like to meet up with her when I'm in the area. It was great to sit back, relax and talk with two of my closest friends. I hadn't really spoken to Meg since the wedding, so she caught me up on all the details from the wedding day, getting ready, the honeymoon, and taking care of her new puppy! After about an hour and a half of reminiscing, we went our separate ways, all going to watch the Ravens game, of course!

Lauren and I headed to a local bar to grab lunch and watch the game. I love the particular bar because it is almost exclusively full of Ravens fans. In fact, when we went there for the Steelers v. Ravens playoff game last January, these signs were posted all over the bar:
Needless to say, we felt right at home when we walked in decked out in purple and black! That, my friends, is where the good times ended though.

About 1/2 way through our meal, I started feeling extremely exhausted, dizzy and just generally crappy. Lauren wasn't feeling great either and since we had ordered the same meal, we sort of assumed it was the food. At halftime, we headed home and kept watching the game from the comfort of our pajama pants and jerseys.

Soon after the game, I headed home and found out I had a mild fever. I laid down to bed pretty early, hoping I could sleep it off. After sleeping in and playing hooky for the morning at school, my body started agreeing with me again. I'm happy to report that other than a runny nose and a scratchy throat, I am back to normal!

Although my exciting football weekend didn't end exactly the way I had hoped, I must say it was a complete success. I got to spend some serious quality time with one of my best friends, got a ton of grad school and teacher work done, and gave my body the rest that it apparently was screaming for. I feel really lucky that I have a friend that I can feel comfortable and happy with, doing nothing. Lauren didn't complain once when I asked to leave the bar, or when I laid in her bed whining about my sicky feeling. She felt just as content to be lazy, yet productive and sick with me all day and night. That, my blogger friends, is a trait any good friend of mine definitely needs to have!

2 comments:

Lauren @ Dreams Take Flight said...

I don't know how I missed this when you posted it, but it makes me smile. :)

Annie said...

i hope you are feeling better hun!!
glad you got to spend time with your bestie! i sure miss mine.