Sunday, May 9, 2010

Soul Searching

First of all, thanks for the sweet comments on yesterday's post... Things aren't great right now but I know that deep down, as much as it sucks to not know what's going to happen, things will work out the way God knows they are supposed to. My faith in that fact has kept me sane this weekend...


Anyways, I've done quite a bit of soul searching this weekend. I've realized that I've allowed myself to become, for lack of a better term, old and grumpy. Over the last couple of days, I've finally accepted a few things about myself:

-I chose a very high stress career and have somehow allowed it to consume me. Although I love my job and could never imagine doing something else, I don't like the person it's turning me into.
-I often take out my anger and stress on the people who deserve it the very least.
-I have a very hard time recognizing and organizing my emotions, which generally allows them to just all turn to anger, regardless of the actual emotion I'm feeling.
-I'm hard headed.
-I like to make plans. Which is fine. But, I do not know how to deal when those plans change. This is not fine.
-I am in my mid twenties and just figuring out that things aren't always going to go my way. Also not cool.

And lastly, and possibly most importantly, I used to really be FUN. I used to genuinely enjoy life. A lot. I laughed and smiled and let my hair down a lot more often than I do now. My motto was "It's fine." meaning that things would work out. Everything would be fine. Don't worry about it. Let's just have fun now. I had gotten through an incredibly hard time in my life and came out smiling. Nothing was going to get me down. Ever again. I don't know when this happy go lucky part of my personality started to disappear, but I made a decision this weekend to get it back. While I realize now that I do have a pretty big amount of responsibility and that I am going to have times when I'm going to have to act like a grown up, that doesn't mean I have to be old. There is a difference between grown up and old.

So, in light of this revelation, I'm going to share a few pictures with you from that fun time in my life. Looking at these have become an inspiration for me the last few days...

4 comments:

Lauren @ Dreams Take Flight said...

I love you more than words can say! I just started reading this book called The Happiness Project and I think you should too. It's by Gretchen Rubin. Then we can come up with happiness projects of our own and be fun. Even though I personally think you already are. <3

Brittany Ann said...

I know exactly how you feel! I feel this way a lot: about my job, my emotions turned anger, my inability to be as fun as I used to be! I want that girl back!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I feel that exact same way a lot too! But way to keep your chin up!
I have that same bathing suit! I got mine at Target!

Brittany said...

I know how you feel :-( I feel like I used to be more carefree and fun then I am now. Maybe it's just a phase we go through at this age and we'll get through it. Either way, hang in there and always remember to smile :-)

P.S - I'm pretty sure I recognize the wall your standing on in the 2nd picture. (Ocean City?!)